Graceland University's Lamoni campus is fortunate to sponsor a TRIO grant program, funded by the U.S. Department of Education, called Student Support Services (SSS).
Eligibility: You must be a U.S. citizen or have an alien registration number. You must be low income, according to the Department of Education guidelines, and first-generation (meaning whoever raised you did not have a 4 year Bachelor's degree). Or if you are low income and have a documented disability, you may also qualify. Eligibility does not guarantee acceptance into the SSS TRIO program.
Goal: Increase the retention and graduation rates of those traditionally under-represented in post-secondary education because of income, family educational background, or disability. The program provides intentional interventions proven to boost academic, social, and personal readiness for the attainment of a Bachelor's degree.
- TRIO Intake and Academic Goal Setting
- STEPS 1 credit hr. course each semester, specifically designed for YOU (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior)
- Tutoring: One-on-one or small group
- Academic Advising individualized for YOU
- Development of 4-year graduation plan
- Assistance applying for and/or understanding Financial Aid
- Assistance navigating the university environment
- Assistance connecting to community resources
- Monitoring of Academic Progress and Attendance
- Assistance remediating behaviors that interfere with success
- Assistance applying for graduate school
- Development of Financial Literacy skills - We partner with CashCourse! To learn more about this free resource for students and their families, go to: https://www.cashcourse.org/
Nationally, students in the SSS TRIO program are more than twice as likely to remain in college as students, from similar backgrounds, who do not participate in the program.
Come to the second floor of Zimmermann Hall and we will check your eligibility. If you fill out the on-line application, make sure you visit us as soon as you are on campus. We will further explain how our services will help you to navigate the university environment.