Student Employment Program:  Graceland University provides students with the opportunity to work on or off campus through the Student Employment Program. Awards are based upon financial need as determined by information provided on the FAFSA. Need-based employment is funded by the Federal Work Study program. Employment awards generally are for $2,000 per academic year, with the average student working 10 hours per week (a maximum of 275 hours for the academic year). The current wage rate is $7.25 per hour.  

Students should note that the acceptance of a Federal Work Study (FWS) award does not guarantee students an on campus position. All students interested in working on campus must apply. Students must meet the criteria for work study as well as they must complete a student worker application.


 Student employment at Graceland University is designed with several purposes.
  1. To assist you in the financing of your education
  2. To develop those job skills and work habits that will benefit you in your future career
  3. To provide support for the various offices and programs of the University

General questions regarding student employment can be directed to the Student Employment Office. All students working on campus must complete the Work Application, I-9 and W-4 forms for legal employment prior to the first day of employment. A copy of the student's driver's license and either social security card or birth certificate will need to be made for verification. A passport is also accepted in place of the driver's license, social security card and/or birth certificate.
Criteria to award funds:  Graceland University has developed criteria to award Work Study funds to its students in a way that will best support those students who have documented financial need. Because of the limited funding given to the number of students at Graceland University, many students will not be awarded work study funds although they have significant financial need.
Students must meet the following criteria to be considered for the Student Employment Program
  1. Be registered for the current semester for at least half-time enrollment. 
  2. Maintain the university's Satisfactory Academic Progress standards (SAP)    
  3. Show demonstrated financial need*
  4. Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  5. Have a valid Social Security Number
  6. Be cleared financially (if you are unsure, speak with your Student Financial Aid Advisor)

Some students therefore may not be eligible for on-campus student employment and others may have their work study eligibility decreased or eliminated during the academic year if other aid is awarded to them.

*Financial Need is defined by the Federal Government as the difference between the cost of attending and the resources available to the student to meet such costs.  The first step in determining financial need is the student's filing of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) . An analysis of the family's financial situation according to methodology devised by the U.S. Congress produces a dollar amount (Expected Family Contribution or EFC) which the family is expected to be able to contribute toward a student's educational-related expenses.  Each student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is subtracted from the student budget; the resulting difference is the student's financial need.

Finding a Job . . . .

 Step 1. Meet the student employment criteria. See the previous section for eligibility information.

Step 2. Complete a Student Worker Application. This form is required of all students seeking employment. Upperclassmen who have previously completed and submitted this form will still be required to complete it on an annual basis.
Step 3. Come prepared. When you come to campus, bring different forms of identification. Federal and State law require original documentation to be viewed by Student Employment personnel before being photocopied.  A picture ID along with an original social security card or a certified copy of your birth certificate are needed to complete your forms. A passport can also be used. 

Step 4.  It doesn't hurt to prepare a resume either. Not all student positions require a resume. However having one will add that extra touch when you inquire about an open position.

You've Been Hired! Now What?

  1. Sign the Student Employment Contract
  2. Sign the  Confidentiality Agreement          
  3. Complete  Federal W-4 and State W-4 Forms (Submit them to the Student Employment Office on the main floor of the Library)
  4. Complete Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9 Form )
  5. Complete the Direct Deposit Authorization Form or Student Payroll Deduct Form         
If supervisors assign students to work before the student has filled out and turned in the above payroll forms, the student will not be able to get paid.
Federal guidelines prohibit students from working during scheduled class periods.
You must provide a copy of your class schedule to your department supervisor so that your work schedule can be arranged. They will set specific hours for you to work. You are not permitted to work while your class is meeting.

Student Employment Forms (U.S. Citizens ONLY)

Apply to work study here using this application. 

Do not fill out until you have been instructed by Student Employment.

Do not fill out until you have been instructed by Student Employment.

For U.S. citizens only

If you are a non-citizen, please scroll down and complete the International State of Iowa W-4 form.

Do not fill out until you have been instructed by Student Employment.

Do not fill out until you have been instructed by Student Employment.

Please fill out ONLY if your supervisor has asked you to drive a Graceland vehicle.

International Student Forms

For non-citizens only

Do not fill out until you have been instructed by Student Employment.

Do not fill out until you have been instructed by Student Employment.

This is the application for Student Employment during the school year.

Do not fill out until you have been instructed by Student Employment.

Do not fill out until you have been instructed by Student Employment.

There are no Handouts for this set.



What kind of jobs are there?  

See pages 3 - 7 in the Student Employment Handbook to give you more information about what jobs are considered student employment.    


Can I work as many hours as I want? 

No. The amount you earn cannot exceed your work study award. On average, students are eligible for 10 hours per week or a maximum of $2,000 per academic year.   

When assigning the number of work hours, the student employment office (as well as your direct supervisor) will consider your class schedule, athletic or other commitments as well as your academic progress.   

Are the jobs on-campus or off-campus?

Most of our student jobs are on campus. We do have students who work at one of our off-campus positions, such as Coliseum Theatre, Tutoring at Lamoni High School, Daycare at Funshine Learning Center or at the local town Library.


How many jobs can I have on campus?

Each student that meets the employment criteria cannot work more than 2 jobs in any given semester. Between the 2 positions, the student cannot work more than an average of 10 hours per week or a maximum of $2,000 per academic year.    


When is payday?

Students are paid on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of each month.    


How do I account for my time worked?

A web-based timesheet must be completed and submitted by the student before midnight on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month.  The supervisor will approve your timesheet on Monday before noon.   


Where do I find timesheets?  

Students will access their time sheet electronically at  Click on My Time Entry.  Please take care to enter your hours accurately.    


 I have gone into My Time Entry and do not have access to my time sheet.  Why is this?

If you are a new Work Study student, you must complete your payroll paperwork (federal and state tax withholding forms, I-9, direct deposit form) and turn the forms into the student employment office along with your ID’s before you will be given access to your time sheet.  


Should I round my time when I enter it into my time sheet?

No, you need to enter the exact times you worked.  


How does my supervisor approve my hours?

Each time you enter hours worked, you must hit “ save” at the bottom of the page.


At the end of the pay period you must hit “ submit” which says,“clicking submit becomes your electronic signature acknowledging your submitted time as accurate and ready for supervisor approval”.  Once you have done this, you will not able to enter more hours. But this will let your supervisor know you have submitted your time sheet for their approval. This should only be done on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month BEFORE midnight.   


What if I miss submitting my time sheet or forget to enter my hours?

Contact your supervisor and the Student Employment Coordinator. Your hours will be added to the following pay period and you will need to wait until the following pay period to be paid for those hours.  


Can I get a cash advance?


Earnings to date:

No results returned by this query.
No results returned by this query.