Student Employment Program:  Graceland University provides students with the opportunity to work on or off campus through the Student Employment Program. Awards are based upon financial need as determined by information provided on the FAFSA. Need-based employment is funded by the Federal Work Study program. Employment awards generally are for $2,000 per academic year, with the average student working 10 hours per week (a maximum of 275 hours for the academic year). The current wage rate is $7.25 per hour.  

Students should note that the acceptance of a Federal Work Study (FWS) award does not guarantee students an on campus position. All students interested in working on campus must apply. Students must meet the criteria for work study as well as they must complete a student worker application.


 Student employment at Graceland University is designed with several purposes.
  1. To assist you in the financing of your education
  2. To develop those job skills and work habits that will benefit you in your future career
  3. To provide support for the various offices and programs of the University

General questions regarding student employment can be directed to the Student Employment Office. All students working on campus must complete the Work Application, I-9 and W-4 forms for legal employment prior to the first day of employment. A copy of the student's driver's license and either social security card or birth certificate will need to be made for verification. A passport is also accepted in place of the driver's license, social security card and/or birth certificate.
Criteria to award funds:  Graceland University has developed criteria to award Work Study funds to its students in a way that will best support those students who have documented financial need. Because of the limited funding given to the number of students at Graceland University, many students will not be awarded work study funds although they have significant financial need.
Students must meet the following criteria to be considered for the Student Employment Program
  1. Be registered for the current semester for at least half-time enrollment. 
  2. Maintain the university's Satisfactory Academic Progress standards (SAP)    
  3. Show demonstrated financial need*
  4. Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  5. Have a valid Social Security Number
  6. Be cleared financially (if you are unsure, speak with your Student Financial Aid Advisor)

Some students therefore may not be eligible for on-campus student employment and others may have their work study eligibility decreased or eliminated during the academic year if other aid is awarded to them.

*Financial Need is defined by the Federal Government as the difference between the cost of attending and the resources available to the student to meet such costs.  The first step in determining financial need is the student's filing of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) . An analysis of the family's financial situation according to methodology devised by the U.S. Congress produces a dollar amount (Expected Family Contribution or EFC) which the family is expected to be able to contribute toward a student's educational-related expenses.  Each student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is subtracted from the student budget; the resulting difference is the student's financial need.