Welcome to Student Disability Services

Diana Jones

Student Disability Services Coordinator- Lamoni Campus

Newcom Student Union, Room 31

Ph: 641-784-5083


Jill Whitworth

Student Disability Services Coordinator- Independence and Online Campus

1401 W Truman Rd, Independence, MO 64050

Ph: 816-423-4712 




Documentation needs to be emailed to, faxed to 515-414-2910, mailed to Student Disability Services office or hand delivered. Please note the fax number is a different than published on forms and is a temporary number as the 641.784.5487 is currently not working.

For questions related to the Lamoni, Iowa campus's Student Disability Services, please contact or Diana Jones or 641-784-5083.  Student Disability Services, Newcom Student Union, Room 31, Graceland University, 1 University Pl, Lamoni, IA 50140

For questions related to the Independence, Missouri campus's Student Disability Services, please contact Jill Whitworth, at or call 816-423-4712. Student Disability Services, Graceland University, 1401 W Truman Rd, Independence, MO 64050


Resources for Requesting Accommodations

Graceland University is committed to full compliance with the Rehabilitation Act (Section 504) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). As part of the implementation of this law, the university will continue to provide reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities so that they can participate fully in the university's educational programs and activities. Although Graceland is not required by law to change the fundamental nature or essential curricular components of its programs in order to accommodate the needs of disabled students, the university will provide reasonable academic accommodations.

Students with physical disabilities are encouraged to contact Student Disability Services during the first week of class attendance or as early as possible. The office will work with the course instructor and the student to arrange for reasonable accommodations. Students are required at their own expense to provide documentation verifying disability.

The general definition of a student with a disability is any person who has “a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more of such person’s activities, and any person who has a history of, or is regarded as having, such an impairment.”


What Are My Rights and Responsibilities?


STEP TWO:  Submit Documentation

Supporting documentation from an appropriate licensed medical and/or educational professional is required in order to substantiate an individual’s request for many accommodations. This individual must have the necessary qualifications to accurately and properly diagnose the disability. The information required to support the accommodation request may vary depending on the nature of the disability.

This information should be current, though there may be times when the University can accept older documentation based on an individual’s specific circumstances. The report should be printed on professional letterhead and may not be written by an immediate family member of the individual.

Students who have a recent IEP or 504 plan may share copies to use for a documentation report.

For the Independence and Online Programs contact Jill Whitworth on how to submit your documentation.

For the Lamoni Campus, documentation needs to be emailed to, faxed to Student Disability Services at 515-414-2910, delivered in person, mailed to the appropriate campus SDS office.  If you have questions regarding documentation guidelines please contact the SDS office at 641-784-5083 or

Documentation Guidelines

The links listed below should assist with making decisions about supporting documentation. Please click on the one that fits your needs and share it with your practitioner so they can submit a complete report

Documentation Guidelines for Attention-Deficit Disorder (ADD)/Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

Documentation Guidelines for Medical and/or Physical Disabilities (including Allergies/Asthma)

Documentation Guidelines for Neurodevelopmental Disabilities and/or Austism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)

Documentation Guidelines for Psychiatric Disorders

Documentation Guidelines for Specific Learning Disabilities

STEP THREE: Visit with the SDS Coordinator

Once the student has submitted the Graceland University Accommodation Request Form and their related Documentation from Step Two, the Student Disability Services Coordinator will contact the student to visit.  During the visit the students learning barriers, experiences and what accommodations may work from them at Graceland will be discussed.  It is the student's responsibility to respond to the email request to meet.  If the student makes an appointment and does not show up, it is the student's responsibility to reschedule.  Accommodations may not be granted until the student has met with the SDS Coordinator.





Service Animal is an animal individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. The two animals which can legally fulfill this definition are dogs and miniature horses.

An Emotional Support Animal (ESA) is an animal selected to play an integral part of a person’s treatment process. The ESA must demonstrate a good temperament and reliable, predictable behavior. An ESA must be prescribed to an individual with a disability by a physician or mental health professional. An ESA is not a Service Animal.


GUIDELINES & REQUIREMENTS An exception to the animal and pet policy is granted for approved animals provided their behavior, noise, odor and waste do not exceed reasonable standards for a well-behaved animal and that these factors do not create unreasonable disruptions for other residents. Refer to the link at the bottom of this page for more detailed information.


Steps in being granted the approval to bring an ESA to campus residential living. 

STEP ONE: The student will request to qualify for an ESA through Student Disability Services (SDS) either in person, over the phone, in writing, or by completing the online Graceland University Accommodations Request Form.


PLEASE SHARE THIS FAX NUMBER 515-414-2910 with your provider.  The fax  number on the forms is temporarily out of service.

STEP TWO: The student must be verified as a person living with a disability and that they need an ESA.  This process is handled through the Student Disability Services Office (SDS). The student needs to provide their healthcare provider with the ESA Documentation Guidelines.  There is also an Optional Form that may be given to the healthcare provider with the guidelines. The documentation is returned to the SDS office as explained on the ESA Documentation Guidelines form.

Once verified the SDS Office will inform the student and the Residence Life Office that the student is eligible for an ESA and will include the STEP THREE procedures in an email to the student.


STEP THREE: Residence Life requires further documentation regarding the specific animal.  Once documentation is received then a final meeting (STEP FOUR) will take place with the Residence Life Director or their designee to verbally discuss exceptions and agreement before the ESA is permitted on campus.

For complete details on the process and expectations for Emotional Support Animals go to the following: Procedural Guidelines for Maintaining an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) Within the Graceland University Residential Community