Thank you for supporting our teacher candidates.
Iowa 281-79.14 requires that we annually offer one or more workshops for cooperating teachers to define the objectives of the student teaching experience, review the responsibilities of the cooperating teacher, and provide the cooperating teacher other information and assistance the unit deems necessary.
We also encourage our university supervisors to complete this workshop as well since they are working closely with the cooperating teacher. It is our hope that both our university supervisors and our cooperating teachers will find this workshop helpful when working with our student teacher candidates.
The Field Office has worked with your human resources office and/or building principals to select you as a cooperating teacher, verifying that you have met the following criteria:
- Hold an Iowa Professional License (or comparable license from another state)
- Are certified in your teaching area(s)
- Have at least three years of successful teaching experience
- Are recommended by your building principal
- Have the disposition, desire, and ability to work with our teacher candidates
- Perform as a professional in the classroom and encourage a professional attitude and behavior on the part of the GU candidate
This workshop consists of six units and the workshop evaluation located in the left-hand column. The workshop may be completed at your convenience, returning as many times as necessary to review the information.
On the last page labeled Finishing Up/Evaluation, please complete the short survey to ensure we are meeting the needs of our cooperating teachers, university supervisors, and teacher candidates, and to verify completion of the workshop.
The cooperating or mentor teacher and the university supervisor have a tremendous influence on the student teacher candidate during their semester of student teaching. This influence includes curriculum and instructional strategies, classroom management strategies, classroom atmosphere, and perhaps most importantly, the professional dispositions that will guide the future teacher's decision-making. Iowa 79.14(8) requires that we offer one or more workshops for cooperating teachers to define the objectives of the student teaching experience, review the responsibilities of the cooperating teacher, and provide the cooperating teacher other information and assistance we feel necessary. This workshop provides additional resources to assist you in mentoring a student teacher including:
- tips and suggestions from previous teachers and student teachers
- tips and suggestions from other university supervisors
- articles on best practices for mentoring a student teacher
- opportunity to complete a "mock evaluation" using a Graceland evaluation form