Educational programs on the Graceland University campuses are approved for current service members, veterans, and veterans’ dependents, who are eligible for benefits under existing laws. Graceland University is a Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding signatory member and supports the Principles of Excellence.

Graceland University:

  • Recognizes the GED high school equivalency certificate/diploma;
  • Recognizes learning gained from specialized training and experience in the military services;
  • Establishes competency by nationally recognized means, such as standardized tests;
  • Maintains a flexible transfer of credits policy for the mobile, active-duty service members;
  • Publicizes alternative admissions procedures available to service members and waives formal admission procedures for those seeking enrollment in course work for transfer to another institution;
  • Conducts a timely evaluation of the educational records and relevant experiences of service members; and
  • Completes a degree completion plan for all degree-seeking service members.

College credit for active military service may be requested by any veteran by making application to the Registrar.

The following step must be completed prior to a student receiving GI Bill educational benefits for Graceland University courses:

  1. Students must apply and be admitted to a Graceland University program of study.
  2. Contact the appropriate School Certifying Official:

    Peggy Mothershead, Registrar/School Certifying Official (Lamoni, Iowa Campus)
    F.M. Smith Library, Lower Level, Room 24
    Phone: (641) 784-5224

    Sariah Martinko, Financial Advisor/School Certifying Official (Independence, Missouri Campus/Online Programs)
    Phone: (816) 423-4715

  3. Fill out the required forms on the website. Students must apply for educational benefits if they have never received them before.  If the student has used education benefits at a previous institution, they must complete the Change of Place or Training form (Form 22-1995).

To continue receiving GI Bill Educational benefits at Graceland University:

Students are responsible for notifying the School Certifying Official of their enrollment plans each term at Graceland.  All students receiving VA benefits have the responsibility to notify the School Certifying Official of any changes in enrolled once the term begins.  Failure to notify the School Certifying Official may result in incorrect payments.

At Graceland, transfer credits earned from regionally accredited institutions will be accepted as credit only and will not carry grade points.  Credits will be accepted for courses in which the student earned a grade of D- or better.  Graceland accepts military credit based on the American Council on Education recommendations.

Read more about the Transfer Credit policy here:

Please request an official military credit transcript and have it sent to the Graceland University, Office of Admissions.

Your military transcript will be reviewed by the Registrar's Office to award college credit.

Veterans and their dependents/spouses can also apply for Financial Aid and are directed to Contact Your Financial Advisor for information on filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and for other Financial Aid requirements.

Provision for Military Veterans who have provided Certificate of Eligibility*:
In compliance with Section 103 of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, Graceland University will not impose the following penalties to covered individuals** due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the Department of Veteran Affairs:

  • preventing nor delaying the student’s enrollment,
  • the assessment of late fees,
  • the denial of access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fees bills to the institution, including but not limited to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities,
  • or require the student to secure alternative or additional funding

This provision does not cover any balance remaining in the amount of the student's financial obligation to the university and the amount that the student is eligible to receive from the Department of Veterans Affairs.  The student is required to make payment for the difference.

*Certificate of Eligibility is defined as a Certificate of Eligibility, a Statement of Benefits, or a VAF 28-1905
**Covered individual is defined as any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or Chapter 33, Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®

Online Course Sharing courses do not qualify for VA benefits.



Graceland University provides consistent guidelines for students who are called to active military duty while enrolled as a student at the University.  We recognize that students may be called to active duty during a term and we strive to make this transition as smooth as possible. 

Read more about the policy here: