What is a Medical Emergency?
A medical emergency is a condition that, if not treated immediately, might cause
loss of life, permanent OR severe disability.
Extreme Chest Pain
What is an Urgent Medical Situation?
An injury that results in first aid or medical treatment (but not life-threatening) to the injured person. These conditions are not considered emergencies. The person is in no danger of loss of life or limb.
Broken or swollen limb
First aid kits can be found in each building, and should be used to treat these types of injuries. If you have been trained in first aid you may render assistance if you are comfortable in this role.
Medical Emergency Instructions:
1. Call 911.
2. Give the operator your name and physical address.
3. Give the patient’s name and describe the patient’s condition.
4. Await instructions from the operator.
5. Do not hang up until you are told to do so. Stay on the line until you are released by the operator.
6. Tell the operator how or where the ambulance crew should enter the property and building.
7. After tending to the needs of the patient, CALL your supervisor.
8. Help the Emergency Medical Services personnel when they arrive by providing any necessary information regarding the emergency that may be helpful for treating and assessing the victim.
Events leading to present injury or illness
If medication was in use at the time
If you or someone is having a medical emergency call 911.